Brooklyn Bodega Interview's Homeboy Sandman


This was intended to be a news piece on the release of BHF Alum, Homeboy Sandman’s latest leaked single, “I Knew.” I texted him for a quick comment mainly to help fill space in the audio post. Gracious as he is, he called me right back. The next thing I knew (pun intended), the conversation traveled miles past “quick comment” and touched down in “interview territory.” The definition of a happy accident. Word to Bob Ross.

In this impromptu interview, Brooklynbodega.com spoke with Queens lyricist, Homeboy Sandman about “I Knew’s” origins, his next two already completed projects, The Good Sun 9 months later and the cancellation of his full length collaboration with K-Salaam and Beatnick.



BB: So tell us about “I Knew (Late Night).”

HBS: It’s just called “I Knew.” Somebody in the internet world decided to put “Late Night” on the title. The music is by a team that’s called The 24 Carat Black. The name of the song is called “Food Stamps.” I think it’s from an album called Ghetto Misfortune or something [Editor’s note: “Food Stamp” appears on Ghetto: Misfortune’s Wealth]. You know me, I’m a Roots fan. We talked about that a thousand times. I love def, stupid def live instrumentation that lends itself to def raps. I had heard it a while ago because Von [Pea] spit a verse over it on the [2 Hungry Bros], they’re [My Crew's All Thinner] tape and that’s when I first heard it.

BB: So you just put it out because you felt like [giving something away] or is this the beginning of some new music from you?

HBS: I got my music finished. I got two records. One of them is called Kool Herc the other one is called Jams About Love. And those are finished. The reason they’re not out right now is because right now I’m looking into some good opportunities to have people help me put the next ones out. I still have the option of self releasing these. I haven’t inked anything with anybody but I’m exploring some really excellent options and that’s the reason why I haven’t released anything in a while. But I got two records finished, and shoot man, by the time they come out I’ll probably have three other ones done. Right now, I’m exploring a couple of options. There’s not really too much I can say [about those]. I will tell you that there’s one label in particular that I hope it works out with because it would be slammin’ and mega, but you know that hasn’t happened yet. And even if that doesn’t work, which it should work, even if it doesn’t the releases will still be super slammin‘ and mega.



BB: So the K-Salaam album isn’t happening?

HBS: The K-Salaam joints are not coming out any longer. Shouts to K-Salaam and Beatnick. Those are excellent brothers and are very gifted beat makers. But we came to the conclusion [that] it’s best to [table the project]. It’s me really more than anything else. K-Salaam and Beatnick, I got nothing bad to say about those brothers. I don’t work well with others. It’s not that I don’t work well with others because I do on a certain level. But I’m a very hard headed individual and because of that, it just came to a point where there were some philosophical things we didn’t really see eye to eye on. It became the best move to just respectfully part ways.

BB: That’s one thing that you’ve always kept at the forefront and been real vocal about: [maintaining] how principled you are with your music and your work.

HBS: The music, those joints are slamming.

BB: Yeah. You rocked them right at Brooklyn Bowl [during the Talib Kweli/Bun-B show]. I personally thought the collaboration would’ve been interesting because it’s Homeboy Sandman rocking over more accessible beats for radio and [club] DJs. Like you pointed out on “I Knew,” about people saying this stuff can’t be played on the radio, I thought it would’ve been an interesting combination with K-Salaam and Beatnick because their sound is more radio accessible.

HBS: Yeah, it would’ve worked. It definitely would’ve worked. But you know, K-Salaam and Beatnick, they’re going to go on and they’re going to produce fantastic records that are going to work. Like I told you, [the tracks we made] it’s great exercise. You do joints. You write joints. Writing makes you a better writer.

BB: We’re approaching a year almost after The Good Sun. How are you feeling about the project a year later?

READ THE FULL INTERVIEW @BROOKLYNBODEGA.COM

FOLLOW THE COMPANY MAN ON TWITTER @THECOMPANYMAN

No comments: