Feeling The Future: Nitty Scott MC Interview


Nitty Scott MC stopped through #BodegaRadio last month. She told us about her a-typical journey from Michigan to Florida to New York City and how she completed high school here despite leaving her family down south. She described the feelings felt when she first saw her face on top blogazine, ThisIs50.com and the zone she was in when she was “writing my Alphabetical Slaughter.” She flashed her wit and humility and the shimmer of a possible star in the making. She even kicked an acapella for #BodegaNation, reinforcing her foundation as a skills-based Emcee.

Last Thursday, Nitty Scott emblazoned those ear-snatching skills all across Southpaw’s stage, rocking internet favorites and new joints from her upcoming debut EP, The Boombox Diaries Vol. 1, for the Forever Fresh sponsored “Ladies First” celebration. Immediately after, Nitty described to BrooklynBodega.com the feeling of moving the crowd, how the Industry feels to her at this early stage in her career and the feeling of making her dreams come true.

BB: What is like for you on stage?

NS: Yo, It’s humbling. It’s the most humble feeling to sort of hear people reciting your lyrics back to you and feeding off of your energy and having people be very, “I’m here to see Nitty Scott! Boombox Family!” That’s the wildest feeling ever.

BB: Is there a part of it that’s also, aggressive like, “Yo, I’m doing this!” Is there a cocky aspect to it?

NS: Not cocky. I would say more confident than anything else. But there is definitely a nod of approval from the crowd to keep doing what you do. The more they make you feel like they love you, the harder you go. It’s just a back and forth situation. I love y’all. You love me. Let’s keep exchanging.



BB: One thing I appreciated about your show tonight was when you were leading into “Is This Thing On?”, you sold it. There were cats in the crowd confused, screaming, “Yeah! The mic works! We can hear you! Keep rocking!”

NS: [Laughs] That was a little trick we wanted to put into [the show]. The concept is -- I remember when I first thought about it -- I felt like I say a lot of things but people don’t hear me. Things that I stand for, things that I don’t stand for when I get people that hit me with, “Why don’t you do this with your career? Why don’t you hop on a track with so and so?” It’s like, “I addressed this. I told y’all what I’m about.” I just started to feel like people heard me but wasn’t listening. That was the whole concept behind the song and the way to play with it on stage was to be like, “Literally, y’all can’t hear me! DJ?? Yo, sound booth, what up?!” to coincide with “Is This Thing On?” It was dope.



BB: I ask this questions seriously because you brought up a good point when you described that people suggest collaborations. Do you feel the industry yet?

NS: Oh, yeah, definitely. I get hit with it all the time. I get a lot of feedback that’s like, “Yo, you’re dope. I love your sound. I love what you’re doing. But if you ever want to become a household name, if you ever want to become a megastar you’re going to have to do this.”

BB: Where’s that coming from? From your fans? From people in general? From Industry people?

NS: Not fans. I think it’s the industry approach to the situation because my fans specifically, I think they just love what I do. I don’t think they love me because they want me to get to “the next level.” I think they just appreciate it for what it is because my definition for success is not that. I’m here for longevity. I’m here to have a career. I’m not here for my 15 minutes. I’m humble about it and I get a lot of people that hit me with the industry [perspective], wanting me to switch up my whole style to be more mainstream and more commercial. That’s not my thing. I think an Emcee like myself, I think I can bridge gaps in a way that I can f*ck with the Underground and the Mainstream. I think the issue with an Underground artist getting to a certain height is that their sound and their message is going to be sacrificed. It’s not that we’re mad that you’re where you are. It’s more that when you get there, everything you sold us up until now gets thrown out the window. So, I feel like if you sort of make that promise to your fans like, “Yo, I’m going to be me. I’m going to stay true to what made you gravitate to me in the first place no matter where my career takes me. If you give them that security, you can go to the next level with your shit and not have to sacrifice anything because you’re fan base was built from the ground up. It wasn’t bought or sold or shoved down anyone’s throat. It was very grassroots from the bottom. They liked what I was doing. So the bigger it gets, it’s just getting bigger. It’s just being seen on a larger platform. It doesn’t mean that I’m switching everything up. There are ways to do that. Not every artist can break that mold without losing the respect of the Underground, but I think that I can do that.

READ FULL INTERVIEW @BROOKLYNBODEGA.COM

No comments: